Friday, September 30, 2011

Heavy Heart

It's been a busy week here in Malawi, but all is overshadowed by the loss of my cousin Lisa last night, ending her long and painful battle with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Lisa was not only a wonderful mother and wife, but a compassionate soul and one of the most caring individuals I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Through countless medical procedures, experimental drugs, painful treatments, and weeks spent in hosptial rooms across the country, Lisa never lost her unwavering strength and optimism. She leaves behind her husband Eric, who never faltered in both his duties as a husband and a father, tirelessly doing whatever was needed to all around him. I will forever look to Eric as the blueprint for how to respond to tragic and life-altering situations and I can only hope to become half the man he is today.

Lisa also leaves behind Maddie and Ella, two of the most beautiful little girls I have ever known. This past winter, I was privileged enough to travel to Walt Disney World and spend time with both girls and their sweetness, affection, intelligence, and personalities are an exact reflection of the type of person, and the type of Mother, that Lisa was to them. I know Maddie and Ella won't read this blog, but girls, I will be back soon, and I promise to be there for you whenever and wherever you need me. I was told that Maddie has wondered every day this week 'what Jimmy could be bringing me from Africa?' It won't take the pain away Maddie, but I promise to stuff every available inch of my suitcase with as much of Africa as I can for you.

Much love to my family who is together in Cincinnati. I wish I could be with you and I send my heart across the ocean to you.
Maddie and Me