Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Guilty

From the 'truth is stranger than fiction' file:

Due to hotel renovations and my landlocked state, I decided to take my lunch by the pool this afternoon. There is a small grill serving kebobs (chicken and vegetables) which I had with a side of fries and rice. As I waited for it to cook, I walked over to the bar area to get a bottle of water. The gentleman behind the bar took my order, got me an ice cold bottle, and told me the price, which was K380 (about $2.00). I gave him the smallest increment of bills I had, K500. He nodded, reached down and handed me a K20 bill and asked if there was anything else. I looked down at the wrinkled bill and back up at him and reminded him that he still owed me K100. He said he already gave it to me. I looked back down at my hand (keep in mind, my hand never moved from the time he placed the K20 bill into it) and back up at him and said, no, I don't think he did. We went back and forth for a few rounds before I finally relented (it was less than $1.00, but still, it was the principle of the matter) and walked away.

The gentleman's nametag read "Innocent"