Friday, September 23, 2011

Travelin' Blues - Song Links

The following is a reposting of the song titles from one of the first entries of Nthano, with links to either its music video, a youtube copy of the song, or, in one case, a reverbnation site (just hit play).

The full, updated post can be found at the bottom of the page.

From November 15, 2011:


Burn Up The Road by Operator - While I don't plan on putting this list in any order, this would be number one no doubt. It was a favorite of my band's during a long road trip and it translates nicely into air travel as well. Assuming you ignore that whole 'road' part.

'Til You're Gone by The Gabe Dixon Band - Piano driven trio's best song. A little reminder that when played properly, piano is still the most dynamic and funky instrument ever created.

Can't Keep No Good Boy Down by The Parlor Mob - I swear this song was created in the wrong era. Mix of bluegrass, rock, and wicked vocals with a constant background of conversations and random hand clapping. Plus, the lyrics are about the most joyful middle finger I have ever heard.

Short Change Hero by The Heavy - This is my soundtrack song. If ever I am in a movie, no matter what my character is, I want a scene of me walking with this in the background. In fact, if someone could just follow me and have this playing whenever I enter a room, that would be great. Oh and add doves too. Thanks. Sincerely, The Mgmt.

(I just realized I described every scene in John Woo's movies)

Bright Lights by Gary Clark, Jr - Keep your eye on this guy. He is going to be huge. Can sing anything.

Perfect Day by The Constellations - Another soundtrack song. Can't you just see someone walking down the street to this? You simply can't be upset when you listen to this.

Savitri by Roderigo Y Gabriela - Sometimes you just don't need lyrics. For when the 10A to your 10B just won't shut the hell up.

Bodysnatchers by Radiohead - Rob Helfenbein and I had a conversation about this song when we were in Malawi last summer. The opening riff is just perfect. Dynamic and complex and just when you think you've wrapped your head around it, they shift the beat to keep it fresh.

Soul Company by Hogni - A new favorite. But how do you pronounce his name? Hawg-nee? Hodge-nigh? Can I like an artist whose name I can't pronounce?

Letters From the Sky by Civil Twilight - Favorite song by my favorite band out of Africa (South Africa)

A Million Miles by The Thieves - Had to include one song from my favorite band of all time. The build up and harmonies from 3:30 until the end are just epic. Doesn't hurt that the exact distance from Bloomington to Malawi is a million miles too (give or take).

Life On The Outside by Gov't Mule - Not totally sure what Warren is singing about (does anyone ever?) but it doesn't matter. One of the best blues-rock riffs of the past decade.

Odd Soul by Mutemath - This was originally "Blood Pressure" by the same band, but I've found myself listening to this one more so I changed it. Plus, cool video. 

Nobody Moves (Til We Say Go) by Street Sweeper Social Club - The requisite way-too repetitive rock song on the list (and strangely, the second song with "'Til" in the title). Tom Morello and Boots Riley had to write this song after their plane was delayed a fourth time.