Monday, October 24, 2011

Last Day in the Field

Rejoice, rejoice, the data collection is finished. After a grueling day which started at 5:00 am and finished around 4:00 pm, we can now thankfully say the research has been fully collected. Just to recap, it spanned ten working days, visiting 21 schools and watching 42 teachers' Chichewa lessons. Now comes the next step, which involves sorting through the piles of research instruments and beginning to code and analyze the data. Fun stuff ahead.

Today however, I am switching gears a bit and have been invited to give a short (30 minute) lecture on Civic Education (specific focus on Rights and Responsibilities) at the Domasi College of Education. At the present time (7:43 am) I am not entirely sure what I will say, but hopefully by 2:00 pm I will.

As such, I am making this posting short and sweet, with only the basics. But lest I post a wholly unfulfilling blog entry, I want to share a couple pictures from a much larger series of portraits I shot on the final day in the field. These pictures essentially formed into a new game (Picture Pose?) where I would select individuals from a group, and make them the primary subject of a shot. What was fun about this was how excited the 'chosen' one always was, and how excited their peers were for them. I, of course, only selected the quiet ones (yelling at me does not get me to call on you no matter what the age, setting or lesson), who then would struggle their way through the mob to stand, front and center, awaiting for me to start clicking away. Once taken, I would then hit the playback button so they could see themselves, at which point (much like the other games), they would giggle, get shy, or run away in a combo laugh/scream.

Here are just a few of my favorites: