Monday, October 3, 2011

Grounded

From the "best laid plans" file:

At the end of last week, after traveling multiple times to the field sites in Zomba, and having been originally told I would begin my four-week stay in Zomba during the weekend, I was informed that it is not the best idea to leave so soon. The reasoning, as it was stated, was fairly sound. We (the basic education team here in Blantyre) needed another day to discuss the scheduling, planning, and goals of my research, so we would meet on Monday morning, with my travel to commence that afternoon.

This resultantly gave me the weekend to work, pack, reflect, and relax, all of which I did in spades (even caught a little sun lounging by the pool). This morning, I packed up my room (astonished by the absolute maximum effort it took to stuff the exact same amount of clothing and materials into the exact same suitcases and bags that I brought and packed rather effortlessly), checked out of the hotel (ie. signed my name, gave the keys and said my goodbyes to the hotel staff), and came to the office, ready for a one-hour meeting and subsequent one-hour trip to Zomba.

That was just over six hours ago. It seems even the karma producing goodness of the Save the Children missions cannot battle a fuel shortage. There is, frankly, no gas. There is no gas to get me to Zomba, no gas for a driver to return to Blantyre, and definitely no gas to take me out into the field for the required 10 days over two weeks.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on how to handle this. Some have said this makes the work I want to do impossible. Others say relief is on the way within the hour. Still others say two days. I, in the meantime, am left scratching my head wondering exactly what to do, and feeling hopelessly powerless along the way. Samson, one of the many employees I have befriended in my short time here, passed me in the hall a few minutes ago and after the requisite "Howz it James!" and hive-five, asked when I was leaving for Zomba.

"I am either leaving today, or I am not leaving today." I responded.

It was the most Zen-like answer I have ever given.